Log in to access members-only content

News

LowCVP Conference focuses on enabling transition on the ‘Road to Zero’

Wed 25 July 2018 | Back to news list

News

 

The Low Carbon Vehicle Partnership’s 15th Annual Conference, which took place on July 12 in Westminster, focused on consumers' role in relation to that of producers and policy makers in driving progress towards the objectives outlined in the recently announced ‘Road to Zero' strategy. All the Conference presentations, videos, images and other resources are now available from a dedicated page on the LowCVP's website

The Conference resources now available include: 

  • Speaker presentations (Powerpoint) available for download
  • Pictures from the event
  • Conference video by Green TV. Delegate views on the 'Road to Zero', recorded at the event are available here
  • Output from the ‘Two Visual Thinkers’; the ‘Road to Zero’ and Conference themes in pictures
  • Results of the on-the day delegate interactive polling
  • Selection of media coverage and links including BBC, Autocar, Yahoo News, GreenCarGuide.com, Air Quality News and an article and video interview with Andy Eastlake from Energy Live News. The AA Populus survey, commissioned for the Conference, was widely featured on BBC regional radio and other media.
The survey by AA Populus (of over 10,000 drivers), commissioned for the Conference and which was widely covered by the media, found that over 70% of respondents would consider buying an electric vehicle, leaving nearly 30% who said they will never buy one. The ‘Road to Zero’ includes a target for the complete phase-out of conventional petrol and diesel cars by 2040 and for 50-70% of cars to be ultra-low emission (below 50g/CO2 per km) by 2030, but many groups are calling for this target to be brought forward.
 
AA Populus found that the key barriers to EV uptake are purchase price and the availability of public charging points. Uncertainty about aspects of the technology: vehicle range, the availability and accessibility of charging points, battery durability and service and repair infrastructure were also found to be of considerable concern.
 
Speaking before the Conference, the LowCVP’s Managing Director, Andy Eastlake, said: “The LowCVP is tackling the ‘People, Product, Policy’ conundrum (the Conference headline theme) on a range of fronts, aligned with the key Government strategy recently launched.
 
"Not only are we working to address misconceptions on the part of consumers which may act as a barrier to clean vehicle uptake, but we’re also working to tackle the blockages either real or perceived, in terms of policy and product availability and performance.
 
“For example, as an increasing number of new cars are leased rather than purchased, we’re working with the finance and leasing community to work out how they can accelerate progress on this agenda.
 
“We’re also bringing government, energy companies, vehicle makers and other key stakeholders together through the EV Energy Task Force (EVET) which will help ensure the energy system can cope with – and benefit from – the large-scale transition to electric vehicles.
 
“The LowCVP is also leading work on the communication and labelling of cars, both new and used, to help drivers choose the best technology for both their journeys and their wallets.”
 
The ‘Road to Zero’ strategy clearly acknowledges that Government must collaborate with all stakeholders in this space. Transport Secretary Chris Grayling [1] said: “Government cannot deliver these ambitions alone. At the heart of this strategy is a commitment to work in partnership with industry, businesses, academia, environmental groups, devolved administrations, local government, consumers and international partners.”
 
Commenting further on the strategy, the LowCVP’s Managing Director, Andy Eastlake, said: “There’s every reason to believe that the ‘Road to Zero’ objectives can not only be delivered, but significantly surpassed.
 
“This revolution in mobility and in the technologies and energy we use to get us around can only be achieved if people – government, businesses and householders - work together and pull in the same direction. The strategy helps by focusing us all on where we need to get to and, importantly, also includes some interim steps.
 
“The LowCVP’s great strength lies in being able to help bring this all together and create the consensus for success.”
 
For the full LowCVP Conference press release please click here.
 
ALL RESOURCES FROM THE 2018 LOWCVP ANNUAL CONFERENCE ARE HERE.

 


[1] Foreword to ‘Road to Zero’ Strategy, July 2018



comments powered by Disqus

< Back to news list

Search news


Related member