Mercury Fuel Systems' Quicksilver AFI Dual Fuel system for HGV's is advanced in that it operates an injector and nozzle for each cylinder on the engine, so in the case a standard six cylinder engine, six injectors and nozzles deliver the fuel to the engine’s combustion chambers. The advanced ECU is in control of the engine’s total fuel delivery, it manages both the diesel as well as the secondary fuel together. The fuel delivery is fully sequential in that it only delivers fuel to the cylinder that is working on each firing stroke, thus only the correct amount of fuel is delivered to the engine. The company has been developing its dual fuel system to operate primarily within the heavy vehicle commercial marketplace with the purpose in offering both a reduction in fuel cost to the operator as well as a reduction in carbon emissions. Key equipment includes a 750 horsepower rolling road, diesel and gas flow measurement meters, software development and the latest in diagnostics equipment. The savings that are achieved in reduced emissions and fuel costs are significant. The business currently has 45 million kilometres of data from customers using our Quicksilver AFI Dual Fuel system proving beyond doubt the benefits available.
Reseach & Development
We are currently undertaking further development work on Dual Fuel systems which will reduce HGV Diesel intake by replacing it with either LPG,LNG or CNG.
How does it work?
In simple terms the Quicksilver-AFI system replaces up to 30%-50% of the expensive and carbon-intensive primary fuel (diesel) with a less expensive and lower carbon-content secondary fuel, usually LPG or optionally, Natural Gas (CNG or LNG) This dual-fuel technology will deliver significant economic and environmental benefits to the Vehicle Operator.
• Immediate 10-20 % reduction in Fuel costs depending upon choice of secondary fuel and route criteria.
• Significant reductions in CO2 and other emissions depending on the choice of secondary fuel, and route criteria.
• Vehicles range can be maintained using dual fuel.
• Vehicles revert back to 100% diesel-only if secondary fuel is unavailable
• Installation does not affect the integrity of the vehicle. Quicksilver-AFI can be removed at the end of the vehicles contract period if needed.
• Existing customers tell us that the return on investment can be achieved in 10-18 months (depending on individual circumstances) with on-going savings for the remainder of the life of the vehicle.
• Full drive train warranty is offered along with an optional service package.