LowCVP Annual Conference 2009: The Changing Climate for Vehicles and Fuels
08 Jun 2009
GLA, City Hall, The Queen's Walk, London SE1
300 +VAT (various discounts for non-profit etc)
Greater London Authority City Hall The Queens Walk London SE1 2AA (See: http://www.london.gov.uk/gla/locationmap.jsp)
The LowCVP's sixth annual conference - "The Changing Climate for Vehicles and Fuels" - takes place against a rapidly moving backdrop. The economic recession, the difficulties facing the motor industry and the growing climate threat have prompted Government plans for a 'Green New Deal' which will transform the motor industry along with many other parts of the economy.
The conference is being held in association with the WhatCar? Green Awards and with the Revolve London to Brighton Eco-Rally. The WhatCar? Awards will follow the conference and vehicles on the Eco-Rally will arrive at City Hall during the afternoon.
This LowCVP conference will focus on government and industry responses to the current threats and opportunities. Geoff Hoon, the Transport Secretary, will provide the keynote address during the morning session and is expected to outline government responses at a national level. The London Mayor, Boris Johnson, will present a city-level response during the afternoon.
The morning sessions will focus on the climate threat, the imperative to reduce transport-related emissions and the perspective of business. There will be a debate on the nature and justification of plans for supporting the motor industry through its current difficulties as well as presentations on the most promising alternative fuel technologies.
The afternoon will include discussions about initiatives being taken at city and local levels. To introduce the WhatCar? Green Awards which follow the LowCVP conference, there will be a debate involving motor industry and NGO representatives on strategic, marketing and technical approaches to deliver carbon reductions on the scale implied by the Climate Change Bill.
Confirmed speakers at the event include:
- Rt Hon Geoff Hoon MP, Secretary of State for Transport
- Boris Johnson, Mayor of London
- Tim Smit, Chief Executive, The Eden Project
- Dr Kevin Anderson, The Tyndall Centre
- Steve Fowler, Group Editor, 'What Car'
- Charles Stonehill, Chief Finance Officer, Better Place
- Wade Crowfoot, Director of Climate Protection Initiatives, Mayoralty of San Francisco
- Ed Crooks, Energy Editor, The Financial Times
- Neville Jackson, Ricardo and Chair, LowCVP
- Neil Bentley, Director, Business Environment, CBI
- David Ward, Director General, FIA Foundation
- Paul Everitt, Chief Executive, SMMT
- Tim Abbott, Managing Director, BMW (UK) Ltd
- Joe Greenwell, Chairman, Ford of Britain
- Doug Parr, Chief Scientist, Greenpeace
- Paul Nieuwenhuis, Cardiff Business School
- Aat Peterse, Transport & Environment
- Hugo Spowers, Chief Executive, River Simple
- Stephen Stacey, Toyota
- Darran Messem, Shell
For the full agenda, please download the conference brochure via the associated link.
EDIE is the on-line media partner for the LowCVP conference.
(Please note that the LowCVP conference was initially planned to take place on 30 April but was changed following the postponement of the Sexy Green Motor Show.)